Freelance Writing Invoice Basics

Creating, Saving and Organizing Freelance Writing Invoices

Part of the 'dirty work' in the field of freelance writing is billing your clients.  You can't get paid if you don't bill - so billing is one of my favorite parts of freelance writing.

First, you create a freelance writing invoice.  Save it as a template so you don't have to recreate it every day (hopefully you're at - or will be soon - the point at which you need to invoice somebody every day!).

Naming Freelance Writing Invoices

Once you've completed an invoice, name it.  The method I use is simple: YYYY.MM.DD - Client name.

I do it that way because more often than not, I need to look up invoices by date.  With the year listed first, it automatically saves in the order it was created.  I include the client's name because it makes it easier when I need to check on how much I've charged just one client.

Saving Freelance Writing Invoices

Save your invoice in its original format, and then save it as a .pdf.  Most people in the developed world can read .pdfs on almost any device - and it also serves as a permanent copy that no one can change.

When you do save it, save it to your client's personal folder (the one you created after you read "Organizing Your Freelance Writing Clients").

Keeping Freelance Writing Invoices

Keep your freelance writing invoices forever.  Seriously.  If you don't have an external hard drive, it might be time to invest in one.  It's also a good idea to print them and keep them in each client's folder.  That way you've got a hard copy for quick reference when you need it.

How do you manage your freelance writing invoices?


Share



Follow me on Twitter, join me on Facebook or subscribe to this blog via e-mail.

© Angie Papple Johnston 2010. Don't steal from me or I'll come getcha. Really... I've got that kind of time.

Image courtesy of Woodsy at RGBStock.com