Business Cards: Pen Name or Not?

If you write under a pen name, go ahead and use it on your business cards - but there are a couple caveats to that.

My latest business card
Here's my story.  When I started writing on the Internet, I didn't even know what freelancing was.  I put a few things at a couple of content mills before I got the idea that I should start finding private clients. 

Once I did start marketing my services and found some private clients, I went back to those content mills and changed my name - I wasn't using them as part of my portfolio anyway, because some of the pieces I wrote were amateurish and stupid.  The thing with most content mills is that they'll never take your stuff down - even if you disfellowship yourself - so that's another reason I advise using a pen name at content mills.

When I write for private clients, I use my real name.  Well, kind-of; I use my maiden name, too, because I have bylines attached to it - so although it's not legally my name, I use it because those old bylines still count.

However, not everybody uses their real name, even with private clients.  And that's absolutely fine - it's all up to you whether you use a pen name or not.

Here are a couple things to consider about using pen names on business cards:

  • Will you introduce yourself to new people as if your pen name is your real name?
  • Is your business registered under your pen name?
  • Is most of your previously published work written under your pen name?

These things aren't really a big deal - what matters is that you're comfortable.  If you use a realistic pen name (NightStalker1981 isn't a pen name, it's a handle), then there's nothing wrong with using your pen name on business cards.

The most important thing about business cards isn't whether it's your real name or not; it's that you're actively handing them out to everyone you meet.  As long as people know how to contact you, you're fine.

As a side note, I always order mine from VistaPrint - I've never had a problem with them or their service.  However, if you're trying to save even more money, consider printing them yourself with Avery's paper: 250-cards 2x3.5 White Inkjet Business Cards. It's cheap and pretty sturdy, but the cards won't have perfect edges like they will if you order them from a printer - they'll have those litle perforated edges.

Do you use a pen name to write?  Is it on your business cards?  What advice do you have for new freelance writers who are about to purchase business cards?

Follow me on Twitter, join me on Facebook or subscribe to this blog via e-mail.

© Angie Papple Johnston, 2010; if you are reading this anywhere but on FreeFreelanceWritingTips.Blogspot.com, it's stolen.

Creative Commons License

Freelance Writing Tips by Angie Papple Johnston is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Based on a work at freefreelancewritingtips.blogspot.com.