Creating Business Brochures

My personal business brochure.

As a freelance writer, one of your services may be to design business brochures for your clients.  Business brochures aren't a piece of cake, but they don't have to be impossibly difficult, either.

Brochures are a great source of income for freelance writers; if you have the design savvy and the copywriting skills, you may be able to charge up to (or above) $2000 per brochure - of course, pay is commensurate with experience and portfolio proof.  I found a guy online the other day who's charging upwards of $6K for an 8-page brochure.

I definitely don't charge that much.  Then again, I have a different client base - I'm not working for Disney or Google.  (I will be - but I'm not yet.)

If you are a new writer and have never created a business brochure, don't market that service until you've got experience.  Start by creating a brochure which outlines your services.  I create a new brochure for myself every couple of months (I just finished a new one, which prompted this post).

What should a brochure contain?
  • a company logo
  • eye-friendly graphics and lines
  • teaser information which encourages people to call you or visit your website to learn more
  • tight writing, just like you'd use in a press release or web content (minus the SEO, of course)
  • a complete list of all the services you provide
  • your contact information
The same places which print affordable business cards can handle brochures, too - I always use VistaPrint because I've never had any problems and I'm satisfied with their quality.

What tips do you have for brochure creators?  Have you created a business brochure for yourself lately?


© Angie Papple Johnston, 2010; if you are reading this anywhere but on FreeFreelanceWritingTips.Blogspot.com or Gather, some untalented hack has stolen it!