Freelance Writing Specialties

I was going through my charts (I am a chart psycho) a few days ago to figure out which freelance writing specialty I needed to push - there are several different types of freelance writing services, and some pay much more than others. 

Obviously, writing for magazines is in the high-paying category and web content writing is just average - but magazine assignments can be few and far between, while web content assignments are easy to score.

My highest-paying work comes from being a press release writer.  However, my sales aren't as high as I'd like them to be, so this week I'm doing a big push and having a sale on press releases.

I told you I'm a chart psycho - so I'm sharing my revenue stream from last week here (and then I'll explain it in case you want to make your own):



See the big, red 32% block?  That's web content.  32% of the words I wrote were for one client who needed web content.

The purple 26% is also for a web content client.

So is the light blue 21% and the darker blue 9%.

The 2%, 5% and 5% were press releases.  Only 12% of what I wrote last week were in press releases.

Obviously, I made more money writing web content - but just as my bottom line.

Per word, though, I made more money by writing press releases.  So this week, I'm pushing press releases left and right, and I think I'm even going to offer a slight discount - because even with a discount, press release writing pays more than web content.

In case you were wondering, here's how to become a chart psycho and make your own:

In MS Excel (or, I suppose, whichever spreadsheet program you use), enter data pertaining to each writing venue you have; I break it down by client name:



The second column contains the number of documents I've written for the client listed on the left.

The third column indicates the total number of documents I produced (although I don't need it in every cell - I'm not sure why I made it like that).

Click "Charts":



Choose which type of chart you'd like (I like pies) and then double-click it; you'll be asked to choose which cells you want to contribute to your chart.

Click and drag your mouse over the cells containing the information you want to include - and magically, your chart will populate with data to show you which freelance writing specialty you should push.

Do you have a freelance writing specialty?  If you do, how do you push it?  Are you a chart psycho, like me?  Please leave your comments here, and feel free to leave a link to your own blog or website!

© Angie Papple Johnston, 2010; if you are reading this anywhere but on FreeFreelanceWritingTips.Blogspot.com or without my name as author, it's stolen.